http://analyn30.blogspot.com/

Monday, April 14, 2008
Only Child Syndrome
Here's an excerpt from this blog about from an only child:

"Everybody needs people but I have a stubborn independence that denies my need of help. It must stem from trying to console myself for the lack of company. I crave it, but it also threatens me. I don't want to need anybody. I don't want to depend on anybody. I just want to take care of my own. This causes me to shut people out, especially when I need them most. I am unwilling to become vulnerable to someone, because I don't want to give them the chance to hurt me."

Bulls eye. This blog stated what I feel most of the time. My ME time can be attributed to my only child syndrome. I'm always out to prove that I can stand on my own and I hate it when people pity on me

A lot of people envied me when they find out that I am an only child; I don't have to deal with sibling rivalry and I don't have to share my stuff with anyone, especially my parent's attention. Well they've only seen the bright side. What they haven't seen is that I had to deal with loneliness at such a young age - by playing with toys on my own; not being to talk to someone from the same viewpoint about my family. And I need to learn about people skills on a daily basis (and when I think I need to take a break, then I'll spend time by myself).

One of my struggles growing up is that since I'm used with the attention that my parents gave me, I found it difficult for me to accept the real world. I had my own struggles back then and its hard to tell about it without someone about my age giving me advise back then. This experience somehow made me realize that life is not a bed of roses. Maybe this is the reason why I would allow my friends to make their own mistakes and not to become protective because I know that I will deprive them about the things that they need to learn.

Since I'm an only child, I'm the only one that my parents can rely on to take care of them when they grow old. I don't see it as a responsibility; it's my way of giving them back and showing them what I've become because of them. And that would require for me to be really strong. This is the reason why I opted to be away in the meantime; to learn all the things that I need to know in life and to prepare myself for that. I don't have anyone to help me.

Another misconception about being an only child is that we're spoiled. Think again. If you've read what I just wrote, you will see where I'm coming from. Everything has its own advantage and disadvantage. I just hope that I was able to show the other side of the coin.
posted by subhuman @ 12:15 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    awww. hirap talaga maging only child. so many misconceptions. stereotypes...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

passionate about music; an aspiring teacher; a frustrated mathematician; an explorer

Recent Post

Archives

Template-By

Visit Me Klik It

Top Links