http://analyn30.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, May 16, 2007
The Geek in Me
Yes you heard it right. I am a geek and I'm proud of it.

As a student, I'm studious. I also love to do research. I don't rely on the books recommended by my teacher alone - I look for other books as well and use it as a reference. During my High school days, I was a diligent student when it comes to research - I usually have 2 different sets of homeworks/projects to ensure that my research are unique. Since our library in my previous school was only small so I'd go to the Quezon City Public Library and National Library. When I first saw the UST Central library, I was amazed - imagine, having a building full of books that's accessible for students.

The research junkie in me helped a lot to get through my college years as I was lucky that most of the books that I found are where my professors were taking questions for our exam (just to clarify, this is not cheating as I was just using these books as a reference in the first place, I always rely on probability if a question would be likely to be given in an exam), that's why my college friends were lucky to have me as part of their group.

Since I love being surrounded by books, my regular tambayan during my college years is the library. Even though I'm not studying, I stay there to read the newspaper and the magazines. I love staying in the library - just the feeling of being surrounded by books, it brings out the joy in me that I can't explain (cheesy as it may sound but its true). My college friends can attest to that - check out my Friendster testimonials. They even once called me as Hermione from the Harry Potter because we have a lot of things in common. =P

When I began working, I missed doing research (not the type of research that's related to my job - it's another story). Maybe that's why I've been longing to go back to graduate school. The only place where I can do express my passion (naks) in research is via the Internet by researching on subjects that I'm interested into.

On my visit to Singapore last December, Hazel brought me to the Singapore National Library. I can't help but feel amazed as we enter the vicinity of the building - it is modern and everyone is free to just sit back and read. I felt that I was Charlie who just entered the chocolate factory and it reminded me once again the happiness that I felt of being inside the library when I was a student. Too bad, I didn't have enough time to explore the place and its treasures =(

Anyway, I'm glad that I found another geek here in Malaysia - Gen. This weekend, we're planning to go to the British Council library and check out what's in store for bookworms like us. We hope that it would be a good venue for us to express the inner geek in us and to meet people who's not afraid to express their geekness.
posted by subhuman @ 1:13 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

passionate about music; an aspiring teacher; a frustrated mathematician; an explorer

Recent Post

Archives

Template-By

Visit Me Klik It

Top Links