http://analyn30.blogspot.com/

Monday, September 04, 2006
Homesick
Even though this is not my first time to be away from home for a long time. I feel homesick. Here are some of the things that I miss:

- the kwek-kwek at Balut Express that Myla and I used to eat before we ride the MRT. Kwek-kwek is a Filipino street food that is made of quail eggs that dipped in flour with orange food color; deeply fried and can be served with vinegar, chili sauce or sweet & sour sauce.

- Heaven & Eggs where my former officemates used to eat during Friday lunch or meet my college friends for dinner. This restaurant is similar to IHOP or Denny’s but also serves Asian Cuisine. I usually order their omelet or the pork chops.

- Jollibee for food trip (sarap ng Chicken Joy at ube keso Iced craze!). I usually to this if I would stay late in the office, or buy pasalubong for my family or just as a meeting place with my dormmates.

- Jeepneys and the variety of its sound.. Whether it’s the plain trumpet sound or the one with a high pitched male laughing sound, it never fail to amuse me (although it’s noise to most people). Here in Malaysia, I never heard any vehicles honked even if you’re close to be hit. In fact, Malaysia has a high rate of hit and run cases.

- the cassava cake that I eat while reading the Inquirer every Sunday morning.

- people having similar features and speaking the language that I understand. Here in Malaysia, the people are so diverse: there are Malays, Chinese, Indians and other races. Since they’re from different races, they speak different languages as well which I don’t understand.

- understanding the language of the shows in television. We don’t have a cable subscription yet so we would just watch whatever’s in television. Most of the shows that we’re shown are in Bahasa Malaysia. Also, I miss watching the ETC channel especially it’s shows such as Queer Eye for a Straight Guy, Nip/Tuck, Jay Leno and Conan O’Brien.

It’s a good thing that I’m surrounded by Filipinos at work and we usually cook Filipino foods in our unit which really helped a lot for me to deal with homesickness. Aside from that, the only time I feel that I’m closest at home is during Sunday morning when I hear the mass at the St John’s Cathedral in Kuala Lumpur. Even though it’s far from where I live, I like going there because most of the people that I see are speaking Filipino and there are people selling Filipino foods such as bibingka, cassava cake, pinakbet and pork binagoong. I don’t care even if the Filipinos who are hanging out in that area are comprised mostly of domestic helpers who are taking a day off from their work.

There’s still no place like home. The longer that I’m away from it, the more I want to come back. For now, I need to settle with what I have.
posted by subhuman @ 4:39 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

passionate about music; an aspiring teacher; a frustrated mathematician; an explorer

Recent Post

Archives

Template-By

Visit Me Klik It

Top Links