http://analyn30.blogspot.com/

Sunday, September 16, 2007
The cook in me..
I love food. You'll probably nodding your head right now based on my body built. Well, that's not what I meant. I love to taste different types of food and its flavor (yeah yeah, parang Ratatouille).

My father is a good cook. He told me that it runs in the family. My grandfather is a good cook whose talents were "inherited" by his children. I can attest to that because the food is really good after whenever we have our family get-together. My cousins were also interested in cooking as well and they love to experiment with cooking.

As for me, well, I'm not really pro-active when it comes to cooking. I let my father take care of that. Most of the time, he asks for my opinion about the food whenever he cooks. I am the "taster" of the family. I think this is where I developed my sense of taste - discerning good food from the rest :) Most of the dishes cooked by my father are Filipino and Chinese dishes (my grandfather is half-Chinese pero hindi halata sa mukha ko or sa tatay ko haha!) but he also loves to experiment with food. Meanwhile, my mother has her own specialty as well - I love her pinakbet and sinigang. She also makes great Filipino desserts as well - from her own version of Filipino fruit salad up to her maja blanca, which satisfies my sweet tooth :)

Actually, I really don't know how to cook since I've been passive when it comes to the kitchen. However, nobody knows how to bake in our home. I love dessert so my Tita Bing taught me to bake. My mother loves chocolate and she always asks me to bake some brownies, chocolate cake or anything with chocolate. My nieces and cousins do the same everytime they stay in our house for vacation (kaya gustong gusto nila sa bahay kasi nag-b-bake kami every week). This is the reason why I lost my penchant for chocolate because I always bake it and it became boring. I am now one of the few people who's not really fond of chocolate.

During my onshore assignment, I had no choice but to learn the "craft" of cooking. I heavily relied on the cookbook that I brought with me or the recipes that I found in the internet. Sometimes, I would call my parents for some cooking advise. It was a good thing that my roommate Hazel most of the food that I prepared :)

Since my father taught me how to distinguish good food from the ordinary ones, I love to try different restaurants. Whenever there is some dish that I like which my parents don't cook, I find the recipe myself. This is my way of sharing what I've tasted them - with my own touch of course. It's been a while since I last tried a different recipe.

Anyway, if you think that I can be a chef.. hell no! I can cook but I'm not really proactive about it. I don't really watch cooking shows or subscribe to a food magazine on a regular basis (wala rin kasi kaming cable hehe). Of course, nothing can replace singing as my passion :) As long as the people eating my food are happy with what I'm cooking, then I'm fulfilled :)
posted by subhuman @ 11:56 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

passionate about music; an aspiring teacher; a frustrated mathematician; an explorer

Recent Post

Archives

Template-By

Visit Me Klik It

Top Links