http://analyn30.blogspot.com/

Saturday, September 22, 2007
Bring It On
The UAAP Cheerdance competition was held last Saturday at the Araneta Coliseum. Unfortunately, my alma mater, UST, ended up in the second place after 5 years of being on top. UP bagged the crown this year after 5 years of battling with UST and they finally got it.

Of course, since I still can't accept the fact that UST lost this year (nakipag-away pa ako kay Gen, who's an Isko by the way) and I have to see it myself if they deserve to win. So I immediately searched for its video in youtube. I checked out UST's routine for this year and I can't help but remember those times when I watched the cheering competition at the Big Dome to support the UST Salinggawi Dance Troupe with my college barkada Eva and Lexie. This is something that we would do every year, and we would forget that we're friends with our Isko chummies for a while. The school spirit is overwhelming as we gather in the bleachers with our fellow Thomasians. We were provided with balloons that we can wave while the Salinggawi are performing. Once the Salinggawi starts to perform, everyone in the UST crowd are screaming at the top of the lungs, cheering for them and hoping to bring home the crown once again. I can barely hear a thing when they perform. All I do is shout and cheer with every stunt that they perform or sing the UST Cheers ("We are the Tigers, the mighty mighty Tigers..", "Go USTe!"). This is a totally different experience which cannot be captured by just watching the Salinggawi on TV. If I'm still working in Manila, I'll be probably one of the people screaming for the Salinggawi dancers last week.

Anyway, I've seen the routines of both schools (UP and UST) and I can't help but commend UP for their performance. I think they deserve it. I haven't seen the routine of FEU (which some people think deserves to be in the 2nd place but ended up in the 3rd place instead) but it's still loading in the Youtube while I'm writing this blog.

If there's one thing I liked about this year's competition, Samsung is the official sponsor and that the cheering squads do not need to perform a specific routine to endorse the major sponsor. In the previous years, Nestle Nonstop had been the sponsor and each squad needs to perform a routine for the product - which most of the time ends up to be cheesy.

Well, there's still next year and I hope that the Salinggawi dancers will be back with a vengeance (with a more exciting routine). In the meantime, I'll just cheer for the UST Growling Tigers who made it in the final four for this year's UAAP Men's Basketball. Go USTe!!
posted by subhuman @ 10:32 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awesome performance from both UP and UST. There's always next year pa naman. But for this year, UP muna will reign supreme sa cheering.

    Congrats to all the winners!

    - Gen

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

passionate about music; an aspiring teacher; a frustrated mathematician; an explorer

Recent Post

Archives

Template-By

Visit Me Klik It

Top Links