http://analyn30.blogspot.com/

Sunday, June 17, 2007
Back to Basics
Dru, one of my colleagues here in Malaysia, asked me to contribute in his project for his Catholic community, Bukas Loob sa Diyos. His project is known as Back to Basics, which is a site that contains the reflections for each Sunday's readings.

When he found out that I have my own blog, he assigned me to write an article about the Anima Christi - which was the Gospel last June 10. Since I was on the writing mood last Sunday, I went to Coffee Bean right after the mass and wrote an article. Thanks to this article, it caused me to reflect more on the Sunday readings the way that I never used before - I researched in the Internet on the different interpretations of the reading, the way how I did my homework in school. Here is the article that I wrote:

Jesus said to his disciples, "Have them sit down in groups of about fifty." They did so and made them all sit down. Then taking the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, he said the blessing over them, broke them, and gave them to the disciples to set before the crowd. They all ate and were satisfied. And when the leftover fragments were picked up, they filled twelve wicker baskets -Luke 9:14-17

PS: Thanks to Anai V. a Co-Filipino worker here in Malaysia who without any reservation witnessed through her reflection on the Gospel. May God bless the works of her hands.

June 10, 2007 Sunday Readings:
Gn 14:18-20

Ps 110:1-4
1 Cor 11:23-26
Lk 9:11b-17

Reflection:

My parents used to work in the Philippine National Police, which is sadly considered to be one of the corrupt institutions in our country. All sorts of temptations are there - with only a small amount of salary that they receive, they can use their power to "earn" extra money to make ends meet. Even though my family was struggling financially, they didn't abuse that power - we continued to live based on what they're earning. I was in college back then, studying in a private university and was staying in a dormitory, which makes it more expensive. Instead of abusing that power, they chose to fulfill their duty to the people. I remembered once that my parents had an argument when my mother brought home a few "confiscated" fruits from her office. My father did not let me eat those fruits - fruits that were taken by force from the vendors who's only source of income is to sell. For him, its like stealing the food on their plate. However, their sacrifices had paid off - I have graduated after 4 years in college and my mother was once named as the best policewoman for her outstanding community programs in her precinct.

The gospel of Luke tells us that we don't need all the material things in the world in order to be complete. Jesus Christ fed 5000 people with only 5 loaves of bread and 2 pieces of fish. All people were contented with only a small amount of food that Jesus provided them. By receiving Christ in the Holy Communion, we become one with Him and by doing so, we made a covenant with Him - for us to continue have faith in Him and to live according to His teachings in exchange for eternal life. Anai V.

Song: Anima Christi
Artist: Hangad
Album: Acappella

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, give me strength.

Hear me Jesus, hide me in Thy wounds,
That I may never leave Thy side.
From all the evil that surrounds me, defend me.
And when the call of death arrives, bid me come to Thee,
That I may praise Thee with Thy saints, forever.
posted by subhuman @ 10:19 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

passionate about music; an aspiring teacher; a frustrated mathematician; an explorer

Recent Post

Archives

Template-By

Visit Me Klik It

Top Links