http://analyn30.blogspot.com/

Friday, March 09, 2007
A Kikay Story
Growing up, I dressed up like a boy. Maybe it can be attributed with the fact that both my parents worked as a military. My mother, who should be my fashion model, always have a boyish cut and she only wears a loose powder and lipstick to work, enough for her to be recognized as a woman. My mother also dressed up as a man that once, she was mistaken as a tomboy because she usually wears jeans and shirt.

When I was a teenager, I was a rebel. I hate the people around me and of course, those people include the popular ones(ala Cher from Clueless or TGIS). I don't want to be associated with them so I don't dress up as one of them. I was stuck in my old getup.

When I was in college, I went into the dormitory and I met people with different personalities - from artsy to kikay. They were the ones who convinced me to learn on how to put on some makeup since my course is expected to work in the corporate world. I also learned how to wear high heels to prepare myself for interviews. The only time I wore a dress was when I attended my friend's debut parties.

When I started working, it tested my fashion statement (naks) because my first job did not require us to have a uniform. I wore plain blouses that almost have the same design but different colors. There was a time when I stayed at my aunt's house, who is a certified kikay, and she won't allow me to leave her house without any makeup on.

When I moved here in Malaysia, since our office is near my house, I started to wear skirts and shoes with high heels (well 2 inches or more). I don't wear skirts and high heels before in the Philippines since I usually commute on my way to the office. (I remembered that once I was hit up by a stranger when I wore a skirt and got really paranoid so I vowed not to wear a skirt again). But now, I started to feel being comfortable wearing it casually. I also started to wear makeup as well.

I know this blog entry seems to be a shallow topic. But for some of my close friends (and tita), I'm pretty sure that they'll be proud of me (especially when they saw my Oscar night pictures =D). It is only now that I have time to appreciate myself and I hope that I'll be able to sustain this kakikayan. =)
posted by subhuman @ 12:04 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

passionate about music; an aspiring teacher; a frustrated mathematician; an explorer

Recent Post

Archives

Template-By

Visit Me Klik It

Top Links