http://analyn30.blogspot.com/

Monday, June 25, 2007
In sickness and in health
Note: I apologize for these late posts. Unfortunately, there's no Internet access from our unit so my entries were posted rather late.

Due to the incident with Kathleen, I realized the importance of having your family at your side especially at times of illness. I remembered those times when my family took care of me when I was in the hospital and I really appreciated it. I may have friends who can look after me if I get sick here but it’s still different compared to the care that my family can give me so I always pray that my friends won’t get sick.

I was admitted in the hospital twice - the first one happened when I had an appendectomy during High School a few weeks before my High School prom (that’s why I looked slim in my prom pictures) and the second one happened on my 22nd birthday when I suffered from acute bronchitis. Yes you heard it right, I spent my birthday in the hospital.

One thing that I learned when I had an appendectomy was that I don’t want to be undergo a surgery procedure as much as possible. I recalled the night after the surgery when I was screaming in pain due to the wound caused by the operation. I want to stand up but I was too weak to do so. That’s why I don’t understand why some people would consider plastic surgery even if it’s not necessary. Even though I was still groggy from the anesthesia, I felt my mother’s embrace. It may not be the cure for the pain that I endured but it really helped a lot, knowing that she’s there.

On my 22nd birthday, I can’t help but be grateful to my family who were with me during those times. I really appreciated my friends who visited me - Debbie (my dorm mate), the Parokya - Eva, Jayms, Shine and Jen, and my Cycling buddies Arnel and Janjan. I have considered being sick as the most vulnerable state that a person can be and for them to visit me strengthen my friendship with them because I know that I can rely on these people. For me that’s the true essence of friendship - being there without asking for it. It may not ease the physical pain, but at least their at my side to make me feel better.

Although I realized the meaning of friendship while I was sick, it also made me understand that I cannot rely on all my friends at all times. I was disappointed with my High school friends because they did not even bother to visit me (my birthday fell on a Sunday) even though I continue to reach out to them. That’s why I’ve considered the friendship that I had with them not that meaningful.

Since I realized the importance of being there during illness, I always try my best to be with my family and friends during those times. I hope that my mother felt it when she had her uterus and thyroid gland removed. I wished that this helped a lot while Arnel was battling with cancer, among others. This is why I would am willing go for the extra mile, just to make them feel that I’m there.
posted by subhuman @ 10:02 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

passionate about music; an aspiring teacher; a frustrated mathematician; an explorer

Recent Post

Archives

Template-By

Visit Me Klik It

Top Links