http://analyn30.blogspot.com/

Thursday, December 16, 2004
Requiem for Liit
I'll definitely miss her.

I'm referring to Liit, my pet for 8 years who is a half-norweigan elkhound, half-"askal" (strayed dog type). She died a month ago because of a disease that hit her nervous system, particularly, her spinal cord.

Eight years ago, Our dog Kring kring died after she gave birth to three little pups: 2 girls and 1 boy. Liit was among those little pups and the only one who lived after a week. I knew back then that she's special. She's a survivor. It was hard to take care a one-week old puppy. My family put her in a box and place it near a light to keep her warm. We checked her from time to time to see if she's doing okay. We would feed her with an infant's milk. We also put a stuffed toy in that box so that she won't feel alone.

Years passed, and she grew to become a loving dog. Although she always have mood swings (there were times that she doesn't want any one of us in the house to be near her), she's very affectionate. I remembered that when I'm seated, she would scratch my back, asking me to pet her. She would also place her head on my palm so that I can massage it.

She's very expressive with her emotions. With her, I also learned that even dogs cry. When she's sad, she's not afraid to show it. Last year Boogie, her one and only dog companion, got sick. During those times, she did not get anywhere near Boogie. And she had mood swings. After a few days of being sick, Boogie died. When my father dug a piece of land to bury Boogie, she growled. Probably expressing her grief. When Boogie's dead body was placed under the soil, she ran and cried. It was really hard for her that we can't get near her for a week. She cried almost everyday. When she's back to herself, we let her feel that she's not alone. And that my family is grieving over Boogie's loss. And things back to normal.

Early this year, I was sent abroad for an onshore assignment for six months. Before I left, she ran to me and I hugged her very tight. I told her that when I get back, we will play. That was the last time I saw her healthy.

Around June while I was still in my onshore assignment, my dad sent me an SMS message that Liit was sick and that she can't walk. I called the house and learned that she got a disease that hit her nervous system. She can't stand up and she's always crying in pain. My dad would have to carry her so she could eat, pee or take a bath. The vet told us that she may last for a month and that she can't be cured. Then the vet gave her a medicine that caused her to be blind temporarily but would allow her to walk again. Given this option, we decided to give her the medicine.

When I got back, she was too happy to see me that she ran (as if she was drunk) to me. I was so happy to see her ran to me, hoping that we would play. And I did, keeping my promise. I didn't hear her howling because of pain. But she would still ask me to pet her by placing her head on my palm. This was the time that she needs to feel how much I loved her, and I would pet and massage her very often. I spent more time with her to let her know that we care.

Then last month, she can't stand. She can't eat. She can't bark. She was lying in our front door, her favorite place. She would wag her tail when we talk to her, to let us know that she's listening. A few hours before she died, she cried. She knew she would be leaving us. But she's happy because she knows that we loved her.

There's one thing I'll always remember about Liit: she's a survivor, a fighter. With enough support from her loved ones, she can go through any challenges that comes her way
.
posted by subhuman @ 7:46 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

passionate about music; an aspiring teacher; a frustrated mathematician; an explorer

Recent Post

Archives

Template-By

Visit Me Klik It

Top Links